Monday, September 17, 2012

Coming To Terms With Being a Feminist



Growing up I never knew exactly what a feminist was, but I knew it was not a term of endearment. While on a study abroad this past fall semester, I remember sitting in my classroom in Amman, Jordan having a rather heated discussion with my classmates. I don’t remember the exact conversation, but somehow women were involved and of course I was the only girl in a room full of men. Never once did I raise my voice or become over-emotional. I did however advocate for women having the right to choose the direction their lives should go. The entire conversation was held in Arabic, being the language we were there studying. As the comments flew back and forth our professor quietly smiled to himself as I continued to present my case. After one of my longer “speeches” about the unfortunate plight of women around the world, our professor silenced us all as he broke into English for the first time that entire semester to say three simple words directed at me, “our little feminist.” Never before had I been called a feminist. In fact, I had never even considered myself a feminist. Feminists were bad and I did not want to be associated with such a group. Instantly I felt confusion, shame, and embarrassment. The fact that my professor even spoke English was a bit of a shock in and of itself. But there was more to it than that. The English coupled with his tone of voice clearly indicated his desire to insult me. His face bore the expression of one who thought that he was better than me, who knew that my passion was useless because there was nothing I could do to change ‘the way things have always been.’ The power of that simple statement, “our little feminist” stung like nothing before. I thought I had done something wrong. I thought I might have been too passionate or unreasonable. I was quiet for the rest of the day as I re-played that class discussion over and over again in my mind. I knew I didn’t like being labeled a feminist, but I didn’t know why.

The longer I thought about it, the more confused I became. What part of myself was causing this revulsion to a simple word?  As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the LDS culture has always been the largest influence on my life. It was here that I traced by phobia of feminism. But why? What is it about church culture that turns people away from feminism? Is it simply the culture or is it actually the doctrine of the church? Does feminism go against the teachings of Jesus Christ? The more I’ve come to understand feminism and understand the church, I’ve realized that of course the teachings of the church support women. Doesn’t the gospel advocate liberation for women? Don’t our church leaders ask us to vote in local and national elections? Don’t we believe in marriage between a man and a woman? Wouldn’t God want women to have the right to employment with pay based on experience and qualifications instead of gender? There isn’t anything in the teachings of the church that forbids women to wear jeans. The church does support women, women’s right, and women’s well-being. Time and time again the brethren of the church have counseled women to seek higher education. They urge us to develop our skills and do all we can to better ourselves. President Hinckley said, “In this day and time, a girl needs an education. She needs the means and skills by which to earn a living should she find herself in a situation where it becomes necessary to do so” (http://www.lds.org/new-era/2007/09/words-of-the-prophet-seek-learning?lang=eng&query=education+women). In that same address he reminds us, “You have the potential to become anything to which you set your mind… You must get all of the education that you possibly can… Sacrifice anything that is needed to be sacrificed to qualify yourselves to do the work of the world. That world will in large measure pay you what it thinks you are worth, and your worth will increase as you gain education and proficiency in your chosen field.” Yes, the brethren of the church reflect the gospel’s doctrine in supporting and uplifting women. They urge men and women everywhere to gain an education, to seek employment, and to be the best citizens they can be.

            A year has passed since that classroom experience and my professor’s powerful “insult” has acted to change my life. I finally know what a feminist is and marvel to think that I was once embarrassed and ashamed to be associated with such a powerful group of people. I am currently finishing my degree in Middle Eastern Studies Arabic and have added a Women’s Studies minor as well. I look for every possible way to reach out and better the lives of women around me, and am excited to spend the rest of my life doing so. Today, nothing makes me more proud than to be called a feminist.

- Catie 

11 comments:

  1. Great post Catie! I had a similar experience while I was in Jordan. I was talking with one of my good Jordanian friends and the topic turned to marriage and how he wanted a woman who would be submissive and I disagreed. The conversation then turned to women's rights and I found myself arguing that women are equal to men in every way. The idea that men and women are equal was so basic and simple to me that I had never imagined how to go about discussing with someone who thought otherwise (let alone speaking in Arabic). As the discussion got heated he called me a feminist and I countered and said that I wasn't a feminist (I had a similar aversion to the term too) but said that I was a humanist. Since that conversation Iv'e come to realize that many of my ideas, which I believe were heavily influenced if not inspired by my membership in the church, are considered feminist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more Garrett! It's interesting that you claimed to be a humanist, because that's how I've defined myself for most of my life as well. Finally understanding what feminism is though, I would venture to say that the terms go hand in hand. Feminists seek to empower women with the same rights held by men. Contrary to popular belief that does not include hating men, pushing them down, or even wanting to be men. Healthy men and women support one another and we shouldn't be ashamed to admit that we support the other half of the world's population.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Catie. I love hearing how people discover their feminist identities :). I am also interested that you traced your phobia of the word "feminist" to your background with the Church. I agree and I disagree. Yes, the Church probably has a lot to do with it. But there are a lot of other forces at play as well. I think our society as a whole is estranged from "feminism." When I think of when I was first called a feminist in high school and wondering what that meant, and then telling my mom I was a feminist, and her telling me it was bad, I don't think it had much to do with the Church. Maybe a little, but when I asked my mom why it was bad, she said that when people hear the word feminist their mind tends to think about bra-burners and women wanting to BE men. I don't know. I don't think my mom understands what a feminist is. But there is truth to what she says. Many people from our generation (like you and me, Caity) don't even know what to think about feminism. But what we do glean from our older generation is usually negative, because that's what are our society generally thinks/misunderstands, not because of the Church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia! I completely agree with you that there are multiple forces at work to estrange the word feminism. I think often we have a culture of the Church and Church doctrine. The more I learn about the LDS Church the more I believe that to be a member of the Church you are... a feminist. As EVERY soul has value in the sight of God- regardless of race, creed or gender. That is my interpretation, at least.

      Delete
  4. Why exactly do we call it "feminism" instead of "humanism" anyway? Why feminism? I really am curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Lydia, maybe I wasn't clear enough so let me clarify that. Due to specific and personal experiences, I was tracing my phobia of feminism to several encounters with LDS culture. Obviously LDS culture is far from being doctrine. People in the church are not perfect and all come with their own backgrounds and personalities. That being said, I originally traced my misunderstanding of feminism to this cultural frame I had grown up with (heavily influenced by LDS culture). As I further explored that, I realized that this negativity was coming solely from that culture and definitely not from the Church itself or it's doctrine (as seen in the quotes from Pres. Hinckley encouraging women to receive an education). Like your mom, I feel that those people who had originally "taught me" what feminism is simply didn't understand its correct definition themselves.

    I wrote this little post as a means to help others, who might have encountered similar LDS cultural experiences, understand that the church does advocate for and teach the bettering of women. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a terrific introduction!

    I have personally found the relationship between feminism and LDS culture is...complicated. I'm thinking, for example, of one of my roommates who is taking a women's studies class because he can't stand feminism, but he admits he doesn't know much about it. He figures he will either learn to appreciate it, or learn how to argue against it. I think he really exemplifies members who hear the word "feminism" and shoot from the hip. Unfortunately, these sorts of people often lump all sorts of feminism together. So anything connected with that word is highly suspicious. In some cases they are so suspicious of feminism that they deny its claims. I had another roommate who didn't think women get paid less than men for equivalent work. He had no proof, not even anecdotal evidence. He just didn't like feminism, and didn't want to recognize its legitimacy by accepting its claims. Although I was fortunate enough to be inducted into feminism at an early age, thanks to my sister-in-law, I can identify with this post.

    So I think this blog is great! I'm excited to return and keep reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fist off I love the title of this post,i think it's perfect! Also thanks Caite thanks for sharing your story! I too grew up with I would say a more negative vibe around the word feminist, and I too feel from my personal experiences that my phobia of the word also derived from my LDS cultural up-bring. And i appreciate you sharing that because i can really relate; and i too have had to come to terms with being a feminist. But I am also proud of it and i am very excited for this blog and i think this blog will be a great eye opener not only to LDS feminists but thoughs who perhaps in our culture dont understand it like we did at one point.

    Really, i am super excited for this blog, i think it'll change lives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to your experience also, Catie. I remember, as a college student, finally realizing that I was absolutely a feminist. And then worrying about how to break that news to my mom. And then realizing that she, too, was a feminist, but would never, ever, ever label herself as such. So much of what I believe about the role of women in the world, in the church, and in the giant universe of everything out there, I learned from my parents, and I am grateful for what they taught me. But it is strange to realize how we can talk about the same things, the same values, but we have to use different language to do it. I hate how loaded the word feminist has become. We are overdue for a de-villainizing of the word, and this blog is a great place to do some of that work. Thanks for getting it going! I'm excited to hear what you all have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "We are overdue for a de-villainizing of the word" .... I love it!

      Delete